This page is for information purposes only and should not be used as legal advice.  U.S. immigration law is extremely detailed and each case should be considered on an individual basis to ensure the best possibility of success.
Application for Temporary Visits to the US (VISA)

Malta recently joined the long list of countries from which the U.S. allows temporary visitors to enter its territory without needing a previously-issued Visa document.  Under the Visa Waiver Program, Maltese citizens are allowed to enter the United States for tourism or business for up to ninety days without a visa.  However, beginning in 2009, anyone who visits the United States under the Visa Waiver Program is required to complete an online application before boarding an airplane bound for the U.S.  This application serves as advance authorization to travel to the U.S. and must be completed at least seventy-two hours before departure.  The application, known as Electronic System for Travel Authorization, (ESTA), is handled by the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) branch of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and is valid for multiple entries to the U.S. within two years from submission.  It should be noted, however, that if an applicant obtains a new passport, or if a change in the biographic data of the applicant occurs, such as a change in surname following marriage, a new ESTA application must be submitted.  In addition, information about each trip to the U.S. needs to be provided to CBP prior to each trip.  It is important to keep in mind that, even if an ESTA application is approved, it does not serve as guaranteed entry to the U.S.  The CBP inspectors at U.S. airports still retain the authority to refuse entry to visitors arriving in the U.S.

Apart from traveling to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program, one may still apply for and obtain a B-1/B-2 visitors visa which is issued by the U.S. Consulate in Floriana.  A B-1/B-2 visa allows its holder to travel to the U.S. multiple times over its validity period.  A B-1/B-2 visa holder is allowed to stay in the U.S. for up to 90 days and the purpose of the trip must be business or pleasure.  Visa holders in this category are not allowed to work or attend school in the United States.  As always, a visa does not guarantee entry to the United States; the inspectors at U.S. airports always have discretion to determine issues of admissibility.